It's all about Alex right now.
He is SOOOOO 4 years old.
Three days ago we are in the post office, and he made fast friends with the other random children, and they start to run about, giving me and the other mother a chance to chat a bit. We were finished, I had the two car seats in hand, and Alex looks at the other Mom and says something that makes the entire lunch-hour-packed post office stop and stare at the poor Mom (that's me) of that 4 year old.
Alex looked at the other Mom and says (in a loud, clear, distinct voice), "My Daddy doesn't live with us. He didn't want to live with us anymore."
You could hear a pin drop in that busy place. A scene out of a movie, every head turned to look at the pathetic Mom toting twins and a rambunctious 4 year old who had been abandoned by the baby daddy.
Alex, at that point, noticed the automatic doors and ran for the parking lot, leaving me no time to explain the comment or quell the hushed whispers behind the counter.
I looked at the Mom I was talking to, her mouth open wide, ahgast, which quickly snapped shut and a feigned look of nonchalance washed over her face.
"Oh," she casually started, "Do you have help at home?"
I must have looked really pathetic.
"Oh, yes, we're here in Utah to be close to parts of my family." I realized this comment makes better sense when following the deployment questions, and now incriminated my husband even further by responding with this remark in my sleep-deprived state.
"Bye!" I hear the shout from outside from Alex. Conversation over. I had to "run" (not easy carrying two car seats) out the door to stop Alex from running into oncoming traffic.
On my way out of the post office, I noticed I had about 70% of the eyes in that place still on me.
From now on, (this had been well practiced) Alex will say "Daddy is in the Army!"
Enough said.
So, another story. My bathrooms (all three of them) smell like pee. Little boy Peepee, to be exact. If you have ever spent time with me or at my house, you may know that I am a crazed neat freak and germaphobe, so a peepee bathroom is both angering and disconcerting for me.
I scrub daily. Still the smell. I change cleaners and bleach more. Pee. Quite the mystery until one day I sneak into the bathroom while Alex is occupying it to see him peeing into the air, a joyous look on his face as his eyes follow the arc, and then he used the lid as a backboard.
"Alex! Why are you peeing on the seat?" I asked in total irritation.
Very simply he replied, "Because I can."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
For two not-so-funny anecdotes I sure can't stop myself from laughing out loud! I'm still giggling!!! Love you and miss you lots! Only 34 days left until graduation!!!
Heckman, is this you? I stumbled upon your blog link on Gary Paul's page. How are you? How is life with twins treating you? They are beautiful!! I love this story, it is so funny! Our blog is kind of boring because we never really do anything, but feel free to check it out: chrismonicaandfamily.blogger.com
I love the brown hair!
Monica (Streeter)
Before I realized you found the reason for the smell I was thinking "Check the trashcans!" When Andrew was 4 he was using the trashcans instead of the toilet. It took me WEEKS to figure out why I couldn't get the smell of pee out of my bathroom!
Welcome to my world! The pee thing is not easily outgrown. Just think of the wonderful things he'll be able to teach Jack!! Just when you think you've found every nook & cranny that can hold pee, they'll find another one. And girls, well since they don't have the "aim & fire" ability, they experiment with how many things can work as a toilet.
How did our lives become pee, poop & vomit. Never mind, I know how.
Love you
Mom
P.S. I'm pretty sure you'll be the subject of several Church talks on Sunday - "Men Shirking Their Responsibilities"!!
Hey, I found your blog!! The twins look great. Do you remember me? From Prunedale? Well the pee thing is so funny. Kenyon is 3 now and I am always smelling pee in their bathroom. It's quite a mystery. Boys sure are fun and different from girls. Except Adriann told me she peed in the sink because her friend was using the toilet and she had to go! Kids, so fun!
Post a Comment