I like "symbology." I love symbolism in everyday language, in what we wear, how we teach our children, and what we slap on the backs of our cars.
I have an array of stickers on the back of my Saturn Vue. Mostly 'cuz I wanted to show pride in our heritage, our collegiate loyalty, and affiliation with the military. It's fun, why not?
Today at a stop light I noticed an egregious display of excess: A tricked-out-Barbie-Style Hummer H2. It was black, freshly waxed, chrome treatment. A 19 year old me would have loved that environment killer. Anyhow...
I noticed a subtle, ecru-colored sticker on the back window. Curious, I tried to figure out what it was, when GASP! I realized it was a combination of two very familiar symbols: The symbol for infinity, and the dollar sign.
Infinite Money.
Are you freaking kidding me? A pit developed in my stomach when I cried "Sacrilege!" VERY out loud. I'd prefer one of those peeing Calvin stickers over that. Did I read into that wrong? Someone tell me I'm wrong.
If not, how could she? How could a person worship something that is limited and finite, no matter who you are. Even Bill Gates knows where his money ends. I'm sure Stephenie Meyer still has food storage. To declare money as infinite was a subtle yet powerful statement on what she worshipped. Is she hoarding her money, buying retail at cost on a daily basis, ignoring those in the world less fortunate? Dig a well in Africa for heaven's sake. Buy school supplies for children, books for libraries without funding. I will tell you what is infinite: people in need, and our ability to help them.
Nothing bothers me more than people who think they are actually better than others. You're not! Just ask God. Oh, He will tell you.
Just to make sure I wasn't mis-evaluating a situation, I rubber-necked the interior of the H2 to see the person driving. Quick assessment: Gucci sunglasses, iPhone attached to ear, expensive clothing, and a consummately bored look on her face. In that enormous cabin, she was all alone. I profiled, and I think I was right. How sad. Money, No, INFINITE money will never fill in the holes in your soul. Relationships, service, helping the less fortunate, that will Spackle the cracks in your heart faster than a Prada handbag.
Now, if I just offended someone by the chance that it was you, or your sister/aunt/Mom in that car, I'm not apologizing. We're in a place in American History that will rival the depression of the 1920's. Read the Economist. It's coming. I wouldn't want to be in that H2 for anything this world has to offer.
Disclaimer:
I know that sanctimony and pride lies on both sides of the economical/GNW fence. Poor people who flaunt their poverty are equally at fault in pride. There will always be rich, there will always be poor. And there will always be us who steadily ride that fence through mortality. The fault lies in not helping others. Not seeing others for their personal worth. And, not realizing that we are equals in the eyes of God. Different, yes, but we all have infinite worth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
By the way are you still voting for Obama? Did you know he voted for infanticide three times in the state legiature then lied aout it last week.
I feel like voting for Nader right about now...
i hear you i want to run over mccain with my van.
I totally agree with you! So not okay! Weird question...but was the girl young w/ brown hair, an olive complextion and short? Because the description of vehicle matches someone I know from school-no relation other than we were in the same ballet class.
twilight zone moment...
that description fits her...
whoa. Utah County is WAY too small.
Post a Comment