Early this morning, our sweet Auntie Lenore died. She lived a long, full life, and fought a brave battle with cancer.
When I first met Auntie, I knew there was something different about her. She is a beacon; where feminism meets femininity, and intelligence abounds. My first time going to her home in Pasadena I was struck by it's cleanliness and how it was immaculately frozen in time! Timeless elegance blended with vintage earthiness from wall to wall. Order was kept, the kitchen always neat. But where I fell totally in love with Auntie was when I walked into a certain room: her library.
That room was filled with books! From ceiling to floor, books from every genre, every classification were packed tightly upon worn shelves. She thirsted for continual knowledge, a pursuit of enlightenment from written works. I felt the magic of that room. My excitement knew new heights as she showed me her real treasures...
In a non-descript shelf, Auntie had plain, thick three ring binders with simple labeling. Upon inspection of these binders, I realized why my heart was pounding so rapidly... she was a traveler! The woman had been around the world times over, and carefully documented each trip. Mind you, many of these journeys took place in her golden years. Where most of a ripened age are complaining about lines at a movie theater, Auntie was scaling ruins! Riding camels! Exploring jungles! I was in awe of the woman that stood before me. I immediately knew who I wanted to emulate when I hit my golden years: My Auntie Lenore!
It wasn't just her adventuring spirit that I loved, I was continually amazed by her tireless philanthropy, charitable spirit, and open doors. We have been recipient to her kindness in many ways and venues. Scores of family and friends have been touched by her generosity. She held to her religious beliefs, and never belittled those who believed differently, including me. She funded several church missions. She supported us, waiting outside a Mormon temple for hours while I was married to my husband. She was a true Christian.
One pursuit that she will be forever associated with is education. She was a prominent educator in Southern California, and a firm believer in the value of pursuing higher education. A Scholarship fund is being set up in her name this weekend.
Auntie will be missed for all the above mentioned reasons, but I will also remember her for her sharp wit and keen sense of humor. She had a booming laugh that was always immediately reciprocated. I loved hearing her laugh. She reminded me of Mark Twain in his final discourses. You thought you got her, but she always got you in the end.
Her love was limitless and always sincere. Her hugs genuinely full, her eyes full of a radiant soul, a brilliant light. She may have passed on today, but that light, that spark of mischief mixed with unconditional love, will stay with us forever.
I love you, Auntie Lenore. I will miss you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like a very lively lady!
Post a Comment