Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pulled the "bait-n-switch" on Alex...

Poor kid.

Yesterday was the twins' first year appt at the MD. Since they both had had fevers in the past week, I didn't want to get their immunizations yet. Alex chatted on and on about the shots the twins would get, how he would be brave for them... then at the end of the appointment, he watched the nurse walk in with four needles and a funny look on her face.

The shots were for ALEX, not the twins. He's getting his kindergarten shots done in sections, and yesterday was the first.

He looked at me with horror. I totally left him in the dark until right before... how else do you do that? I have no idea. He tried to make a run for it, I had to tackle him into my lap. I bribed him with a Playmobil toy after the shots, and he almost relented, then I tried to get his pants down (shots in the thighs). That's when the fight started.

He was SO strong! It took two nurses and me to hold him down. The entire office could hear him shrieking, "No! NOOO! You tricked me! You TRICKED me!" He was wailing. I was crying. The nurse giving the shots started to cry. It was pathetic. The funniest part happened after the shots were done.

In full voice, Alex shouts, "Mom! NEVER EVER give me kindergarten shots AGAIN! Promise me!" Over and over....

Then, after he calmed down, he looked at the nurse and said, "I will never walk, or play, of jump again. Can you bring me a wheelchair? I can't walk." He hobbled to the lobby, then Asked the front lady for a wheelchair. It was hilarious. I had to carry him to the car while pushing the twin stroller... the twins were completely fascinated by this display put on by big brother.

I didn't tell him that he has two more shots in a month. I'll just trick him again. It's the only way.



Oh, and Alex's pet fish, "Uvula," has a last name now. Uvula Boloneyhead.

7 comments:

Marianne & Clayton said...

Nice work! Think you can do something like that for me when it's time for my epidural?

Susan said...

That is awesome! Although after the next 2 he might never go with you to the doctors office. I got great joy out of this post! Alex is hilarious!

Karla said...

Camille, you are too funny! I like reading your stuff - thanks for sharing!

Brandee said...

I am rolling...seriously rolling...I can so picture the whole drawn out scene! :)

Rachel and Joshua said...

Tag! You're it! See my blog.

SumGreater said...

hahaha. A wheelchair? That's awesome.
It took 3 people to hold down my oldest for shots a couple years ago. He still runs into the hallway when his brother or sister get a shot at the doctor's office.

Michael said...

Next month make his dad take him to get shots. :) That will be better.