Friday, December 7, 2007

Guess who's coming to dinner . . .




Happy Thanksgiving!


Yes, it's belated, but we have had our hands full and my swelling midsection has left me little time to sit in a chair and allow various limbs to go numb in under two minutes.


Thanksgiving was spent at my parent's house, and the family that was in state attended. The day before I called my Mom to confirm what I was bringing, and she said, "NO PORK! I've invited the Egyptians to Thanksgiving dinner." I had just returned from a successful shopping venture where I found a beautiful sage-infused sausage I planned to use in my dressing, and pancetta for my brussel sprouts. No pork? Of course we accomodated.


My Egyptian friend, her son Achmed, and her Father came to dinner. We knew that her father was a connected individual in Egypt being a Chief Judge, but we found out that he is a former attorney general. Of Egypt. The Egyptian Attorney General came to dinner. Are you kidding me?


What a testament to the beauty within humanity. He is sharp (obviously), witty, and carries a sparkling conversation in mildly broken English. Mildly mannered, he is void of the pompous mannerisms that I would associate with one in that station. At the close of dinner, he came over to me and gave a beautiful, poignant compliment about my parents. What I found significant was when he said, " . . . and your mother, Mrs. Karen, equally as special as your father. Equally so." A few more of my misconceptians about the Muslim faith flew out the window with the conversations of that day.


Dinner was great. It was an international affair, with our Egyptian friends and also a friend from Brazil who spent her maiden voyage into American holidays with us. It was fun to compare holidays and traditions with the international contingency, as well as within the members of our family who have adopted new traditions.




No comments: