Today the surgeon took out my "goldbladder" (as Alex calls it). Alex wanted to know HOW they were going to take it out. Now, to explain anything to my son is a major feat, as he is too smart and wants true details. SO what did I do? I lied. "They're going to suck it out of my bellybutton!" I said with a casual smile.
"But, How? How will they suck it out? What are they going to use? How long will it take to suck it out?" Ugh, the questions! I can't wait for the birds and bees talk with this boy (wait, Yes, I can...).
The surgery went really well, I was first on the line up (yea!), but that meant I had to be there at 5 in the morning (boo!). Coming out of general anesthesia was really hard this time. My blood pressure dropped to 72/40, and I kept blacking out. The nasty part was that they made me get up immediately and start walking. My second walk took me to my knees three times, and the entire time I was fainting, like a long, slow, fainty nightmare. All I remember was thinking, "Gee, this floor is nice and cold."
So what did I say coming out of general anesthesia? If you've ever been under or known someone who has, this is always the fun part of surgery. It's scary to think about WHAT you could have said, deep dark secrets, scathing comments, etc. Not me. This is what they told me I said:
(Struggling to get out of bed) "I failed Organic Chemistry! I failed Organic Chemistry! Let me GO, I have to go take the MCAT NOOOOWWWW! I have to go! Let me Go! I'm late for the MCAT!"
Um, Whaaaaaaat??????
Apparently I was the life of the recovery room. The nurses were all laughing, and mine asked my Mom if I wanted to be a doctor or if I took the MCAT. "Nope, but she did really well on the GMAT!" My Mom Replied. To which I chimed in, "Yes! I WAS in the 95th percentile on the GMAT, but I have to take the MCAT!"
Wow. Drugged me sounds SO smart.
So, I'm home, I'm in a numbed state of pain, and I HATE not being able to hold, pick up, feed, squeeze my babies. This is the hardest part. I should be up and moving in a normal way within the week. Ahh, the adventures life brings....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
P.S.- the part about the GMAT is actually true. . .
I will be seeing you tomorrow! You stay down sister...well, at least as much as possible!
Congratulations on a successful surgery. I had my appendix taken out when I was 17, and I was a thrashing, angry mess in the recovery room. Details are hazy, of course, but I clearly remember yelling "you said I would feel better! You said I would feel better!" Obviously, I wasn't feeling so hot at that point.
that's funny, Holly... I remember thinking how crappy I felt after my back surgery and hoping that it would get better...
Ah, the embarassing remarks with surgery! I've had my share of those. THe most recent one was in Japan and I kept talking about how drunk I felt (I was a bit of a wild child in college - pre-member days). Josh kept trying to shush me but I kept getting louder and louder. Then a nurse looked at us and asked Josh aren't you in the bishopric in (our) ward? Turns out the nurse was in our stake. :)
Glad to hear that things went well!
I wish I could have been there to tease you about your test. You failed! Yikes. Bad Nightmare.
I am glad things went well. Alex is so funny! I can just imagine my little one saying, "You were bad when you were four..." We are coming down your way this week, so if you need anything, please let me know.
Post a Comment