"Where were you?"
That's the question that everyone asks about that fateful day. I want to tell you our story.
My man and I had just returned from an early morning swim when we flipped on the morning news to see the towers on every channel. I went numb. I knew this kind of cataclysm could only be heralding in a new, darker world for everyone. My husband ran out of the apartment, in shock, looking for anyone to verify that what we were witnessing was not some sick Orson Wells hoax. It wasn't. Lives were lost. Lives were permanently changed, ours were.
"I've got to do something." That's all he said to me.
That's when I knew my life as a military wife was beginning. No more expectations for a wealthy, cushy future. No leisurely vacations to exotic locations. We wouldn't be buying a home, planting roots. My heart dropped to my feet, but I knew it was right.
Even with a degree, he decided to enlist, rather than take the officer route. He enlisted, our lives turned upside down and backwards, and the adventure began.
I will never look back. I will never regret the decision he made, based on that ugly September morning seven years ago. He enlisted, and we never looked back.
But this day is not about us. It's about the families whose hearts had to heal with a hole left by the ones they lost. That probability is all too real to me now, and it is those families that I salute today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
nice post, camille. craig and i had just moved to texas and we were both at our 2nd days of work. i was at pier one in the stock room watching nbc on the break room tv and i was terrified. i think the combination of being in a totally foreign place with no family around and this horrible event really sent my mind into serious catastrophic thinking. i was even worried that an atomic bomb was next. no one came into the store that day and we brought the tv onto the checkout stand so we could watch while still manning the store. they let us close up at one. then i sat in our apartment for the next week glued to the news. terrifying.
I love it. I was in college, and hadn't met my darling husband. He had enlisted just weeks before, and was quickly called up. I met him just days after his return. I am so grateful for a husband who loves his country and has such a desire to serve. Thanks for always reminding me of the blessings we have.
Camille- That was an awesome entry. I am so glad and grateful for your husband and the thousands of other families that sacrifice so much for our freedom! Thank you! I love your blog by the way... You are a terrific writer!
Sandra(Bancroft)Poche
It was my first day home from the hospital after the birth of our first child. I wasn't answering the phone, so my mom came over and turned on the tv. Then, like everyone else, it was all I saw or thought about for weeks. I was glued again to the documentaries of first-hand accounts played on tv this September 11th.
My first day home from the hospital after the birth of our second child, a space shuttle burned up on re-entry... Maybe it's overly superstitious of me, but it seems better for the world when we adopt, because nothing bad happened when we brought home either of our adopted children.
Seriously, I honor your sacrifice and your husband's and that of all the families just like yours. I think of you often and pray for you. I was an army brat, but that has nothing on an army wife. I'm really proud of you.
Post a Comment