Daddy went back to war today.
We're all coping right now without my man in the house. I quickly became accustomed to large hands helping out, holding babies, cradling my face. I laughed at the familiar snoring sound next to me at night. It was over all too fast. Two weeks were not enough, and I'm bummed.
Alex had a hard day. Preschool proved an excellent distraction, but his little crestfallen face was too much for me. All the kids have been tired today-- too much emotion. We went to Target to buy Alex a special toy from his Dad, and then they all got new cuddly PJ's for the night. All my kids were asleep by 7:30, and so I started to clean (my coping mechanism). If you want to see a sterile house, come on by!
I am grateful for my husband. What he does is not easy, and holds many risks. I am proud to be a military wife, and I am proud to do my part to protect our God-given rights as Americans.
On the way home from the airport, I plugged Alex into a DVD, filled his lap with treats, and let him junk out. While he was watching the "Bee Movie," I was struck by a line from the flick-- "What's the point in life if you don't take risks?"
Risks-- being a part of the military has risks. Loving the great outdoors and being outside holds risks. Traveling the world, making ourselves vulnerable to help others-- all risky. But what is the point to life if we don't take risks? Can we value the miracle of life by merely existing? Are we truly taking advantage of opportunities before us? I never want to be caught "existing." I want to DO, to BE, to SERVE. To live life to it's fullest. That's what my man is doing, and I will take an active role in humanity.
I'm not feeling like going to bed (sorry, husband! I promised to be in bed by midnight). It's too big and too empty. What's ironic is that all my kids are totally out. They are soundly sleeping. I cannot. It'll get better.
Deployments suck. There is no sugar-coating that truth. There is nothing WWII-esque or romantic about waiting for your soldier to come home from war. I'm ready to have him home now. What's hard about deployments is that life is upside-down and on hold. Family vacations have to wait. Major decisions, what have you, it's all on hold. But what he is doing out in the Middle East is paramount to the security and safekeeping of our nation. So we wait for his safe return.
I'll post more pics of R&R later. I'm going to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
oh, camille. i am happy you had this time with michael but so sorry that you had to watch him go---again. does this mean we get to play some more? i'm not taking my boys to that lindon preschool anymore so i don't have all that free time but we can still get together with all the kiddos. love you.
This post totally made me cry:( I don't know how you military wifes cope, but you seem to do an amazing job!
What's your # I'm coming over..! I need to see a clean house and bask in your post husband glow.
So sorry you had to say goodbye again! I loved all your posts of the past two weeks. I can't even imagine how much fun Michael must have been having playing with all of you.
Here's to a quick six months...good luck to you! I wish my coping mechanism was cleaning. :)
I love you Camille! You, Michael, Alex, Jack, and Brooke are all in my daily prayers. I love you all and I am always here when I'm needed! Try and get some sleep! Love you!
I hope you realize how blessed we are to have you in our family. We love you, we love the kids and we love Michael. My heart breaks at the thought of him being away from you. Yet I'm so proud of him. He holds that special place in my heart that only a first child can. Always my baby!
Love you
Mom
Post a Comment