Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I've Got a Case of the Gimmes

Alex and I read a Bernstein Book called "...and The Case of The Gimmes." We re-read that book on nights after shopping, when Alex has the gimmes. When he gets a case, he gets it bad. Screaming, pouting, tantrums, falling on the filthy store floor wailing for what he wants....

Tonight I realize he gets that from me. I just hide it better (maybe).

I got a case of the Christmastime GIMMES. I got it bad. You know, I could say that pageant perfect response to "what I want for Christmas," "My husband's safe return!" Ahhh.... that's so get-you-right-here sweet. It's obvious, I want my man out of the sand and back in our living room, all parts intact. However...

Today the holiday Williams-Sonoma Catalog came in the mail. I knew I had to wait to
open it's sacred pages until all the kids were sound asleep. That catalog renders me useless. Its sweet elixir calls me to the hallowed doors of any nearest retail location.

So, I will now bore you with my wish list.

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS:

1. My man out of the sandbox, and in my living room.

2. An "Every kiss begins with Kay" moment. I know, I know! So cheesy, but I love those commercials.

3. Williams-Sonoma Catalog pages 1-167. There's that Nespresso Aeroccino auotmatic milk frother, and the Alfi Thermal Caraffe, and the artisanal cheese collection, and All-Clad Stainless Steel 3 piece steamer set... Ooh, and that Breville Ikon panini press on the back cover...

4. A Cashmere sweater. Just so I can non-chalantly tell anyone "Yes, it's cashmere!"

5. A place to wear said cashmere sweater.

6. A good pair of jeans to go with the cashmere sweater. Preferably NOT from Target or Wal-Mart. That's where all my clothes are from right now. Honestly.

and now my "Hallmark moment" list

1. I want Jack to just get better. From his skin problems, skull problems, and now his severe case of stranger-danger, this boy has had a rough start. I would love for him to have even a week free of pain.

2. I want Alex to get over his hunger strike. I never figure I'd have a boy with food problems, but I do! I've used Ellen Satter's books, the MD recommendations, but I need to find something, ANYTHING, to end our food fight.

3. I want my man to be happy. Truly, deep down inside contentment. I want him to be able to relax and take comfort in a calmed mind.

4. Brooke? Well, I want to fiercely protect my little lamb from the lions as long as my mortal days last. She is special, I love her.

For me? I want to be more patient, more forgiving, more relaxed as a mom.

Enough of the sap.

Back to the Christmas carnage...

No comments: