Yesterday I had to go pay for preschool for the month. That means a trip into the unversity admin building. YES, I know there's that thingy called the "Internet" that has "Online Bill Pay"... but my boy likes the excitement of paying in person. Hence, a walk into the admin building.
I forgot my car seat stroller yesterday. DANG IT! That means carrying two car seats 1/8 mile from the parking lot to the cashier in the building. "1/8 of a mile? You're a wimp, Camillion!" You may say... Think about this. Jack is 22 pounds, Brooke 21. The car seats are just under 8 pounds each. I'm carrying nearly 60 pounds when I carry the twins. No, it's not easy. My back is re-breaking, my neck permanently cramped, but what do I do? Leave one in the car? Yuh, right. My life wasn't meant to be easy...
So, about 60 paces in, Alex starts to whine. I mean, fall on the concrete in a heap of tears and complaints. He wants to ride on my shoulders. Alex is over 40 pounds. I threw him up on my shoulders, picked up the car seats, and went an additional 100 paces. I was dying, I mean DYING, it hurt so bad. The only part I found humor in and took pride from was the string of students in line that were gawking at me. A couple of the guys were jaws-on-the-floor. Good moment amidst the pain.
Alex paid his bill, then we went back outside to (cursing under my breath) make the trek back to visitor parking. No Alex on the shoulders, but those car seats doubled in weight. I was so tired.
ABout 40 paces from my car, a professor(?) said a "Here's your sign" comment.
"Wow! That looks like a lot of work!"
Guh. I hate these remarks.
"Yup! It sure is!" I said with a strained smile.
Then something miraculous happened. He walked back (since he had passed me while making his comment) and asked,
"Can I help you?"
I nearly dropped the car seats. I sucked in my breath. That, ladies and gentlemen, was the FIRST TIME A MAN OFFERED TO HELP ME.
The first time.
"Oh, thank you so much, I'm used to this. I really appreciate the offer.."
"Well, okay! You amaze me, that's a lot of work..." He trailed off.
I was stunned, grateful, elated, angry, laughing. That was my Christmas miracle.
Well, Mr. Professor, may God bless you for what you did. You may never know how much that meant to an extremely tired mom of multiples.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Uh, why didn't you accept the help? We men really mean it when we offer help. :)
WOW! A Christmas miracle! :) Silly girl, next time take the help!!! :)
I didn't accept the help 'cuz my car was 10 paces away...
It would have been funny to see him heft the weight, however...
Post a Comment