Monday, December 15, 2008

The Spirit of Christmas

We have an elf...

There is an elf who has been leaving gifts on our doorstep the past three nights. Each gift has had a card with a clever rhyme about the twelve days of Christmas, and tonight Alex and I screamed in excitement when we heard the familiar rap on our door...the elf had come!

A gift was waiting on our front step. As I read the card, I started to cry as I realized on the third day of Christmas our elf was giving us three pairs of PJs for the kids! Alex ran inside the house and opened the gift to find three very nice pairs of PJs-- Alex and Jack with matching pairs. They wore these to bed tonight.

Funny, for family night tonight we read the story in The Friend magazine about the secret gifters. Alex looked at the drawing of two boys in the window, with their secret Santa sneaking towards the doorway, and decided it was him and Jack waiting for our elf.

I don't know what the next days of Christmas will hold, but I have been touched by this act of generosity and kindness to my family. I've been wondering how I'd hold up through the holidays without my man at home, and this has been a breath of sweet relief for all of us. This kind of thing never happens to me. What a perfect way to teach human kindness and the spirit of Christmas to my boy.

So, little elf, Alex and I await your coming tomorrow! I wish there was some way we could express our thanks! We won't ruin the anonymity of your gifts (although Alex prayed tonight to find out your name). I have been praying that you will get an extra portion of blessings and peace for your kindness to my family. This is so much fun!

2 comments:

Danika said...

We read that same story in The Friend the other night and Brandon wanted to do it too. Actually I think he wanted someone to do it to us...

McIntire Madness said...

So fun!