Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Egyptian Royalty in the West
I have a new friend. She is from Egypt, a brilliant scientist who is in town expanding on her PhD at the university here. What I can tell you is that language and culture hold no barriers when it comes to the human spirit. She has a son who is the same age as my boy, and we laughed tonight as they played, one speaking Arabic, the other English. Her story rivals a major motion picture, and I commend her for her indomitable spirit, perseverance, and humility. Upon entering their humble apartment, we were showered with gifts, and one in particular touched me deeply. She placed upon my wrist a cuff with the ankh (the Egyptian tree of life) and a queen who wears a crown with two feathers; one represents luck, the other happiness. God knows us, gives us answers to prayers in amazing ways. This pregnancy has been daunting at best, and today I have been particularly tried with the challenges of a twin pregnancy. She looked into my eyes and told me that God would grant me luck and happiness. I will never take this bracelet off. My new friend is a queen, a majestic person with a huge spirit. Lesson learned: On this Earth is diversity. A huge scope of peoples, cultures, and connections await to be discovered and appreciated. I am already altered by meeting and connecting with a brilliant scientist from the other side of the Earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment