It started with a headache, followed by low back pain. By about 3 in the morning on Sunday, I started vomiting in "Exorcist" fashion. I was sick, sick, sick. This was unusual, as I haven't been sick for a few weeks. We called the OB, and at 3 pm I was sent to the Labor/Delivery wing of the hospital to ensure this wasn't pre-term labor. Of course, in my hormonally-racked brain, all I could think about was the fear of losing my twins. I sobbed on our way up to the fifth floor of the hospital.
In spite of my severe nausea/vomiting and dehydration, the babies are totally fine. The nurse who took care of me calmed by mind by saying, "these little guys have no clue what's going on. They are fine and oblivious to your pain."
Here comes the gross part. My veins had collapsed from severe dehydration, and it took two nurses and the anesthesiologst to place an IV. My arms look like a war zone. But, one bag of fluid and a strong anti-nausea medication, and I was doing better.
Why do we go through this? I hear many friends and acquaintances tell their personal "war stories" of bringing children into this world. Women know the risks they face in order to have children, but we do it all the same. I was so sick with Alex, and yet when he was placed in my arms following that traumatic delivery, I knew I would go through it all over again just to see his perfect face. I know these twins will be worth all the discomforts and health challenges I have faced.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You poor thing! I totally know the feeling of going to the hospital in fear that you might be losing the child you are carrying. I hope you are doing better and have smooth sailing the rest of your pregnancy!!
Post a Comment