Friday, October 3, 2008

The Blood Work Came Back Today...

I've had strange, frustrating symptoms lately.
1 sluggishness
2 constant fatigue
3 belly fat (not to mention the twin skin-- gross, I know)
4 not able to lose weight

Frustrated, I went to my doctor to find out if I was next in line to suffer from the genetic maladies of our family: Gall bladder (Check!) Back Problems (Check!) and Thyroid . . . it would explain A LOT.

He had blood work ordered yesterday. This morning, I went to the hospital lab to get it done. Eight vials of my blood later, I started to get into drama mode. "What if I DO have diabetes? What if my thyroid problems aren't really thyroid but head cancer?" Of COURSE I freaked myself out.

It didn't help that after we got home from the zoo today I had a message from my MD to call immediately. My heart sunk to my shoes as the adrenaline kicked in. I knew it. I DID have cancer. Why else would they call so quickly?

"We wanted to let you know that your work came back fast." My heart was thudding in my ears. "It looks as though everything turned out perfectly normal... but your cholesterol is high. The doctor wants you to go on the diet and exercise he prescribed, lose the weight and come back in four months to see your results."

Okay, really? You might as well have said, "Lady, you suffer from FATNESS. oh, and you are a hypochondriac." Thanks, nurse. I guess I wouldn't have such a chip on my shoulder if she wasn't 21, a size 4 and I DID see her eating a Snickers Bar with her sandwich behind the counter the day before.

So, I suffer from overweight and high cholesterol. That's my diagnoses. I wanted to throw at the nurse, "You know I had twins, right? TWINS. Just eight months ago. I'm not freaking J LO, Okay? And my husband is deployed to a war zone." There. That's my excuse.

The MD gave me a book, pamphlet, and a number. 35-40 pounds. Yikes. I guess if not now, then when?

5 comments:

burg3g said...

Oh I'm laughing out loud! You're so funny;)Oh let me clarify I'm laughing with you, not at you I would never do that..I think ;)

Family said...

1. Doctors know squat! (My apologies to any doctors reading this)
2. You are beautiful
3. Exhaustion & sluggishness ARE symptoms
4. You are beautiful
5. Exercise doesn't always give you energy!! (who started that stupid myth anyway?)
6. You are beautiful
7. Doctors love to use the fact that you have young kids to blame all your ails - saves diagnosis time
8. You are beautiful
9. You need a vacation to Washington
and finally,
10. you are beautiful

Mom

McIntire Madness said...

Oh my goodness. I love reading your blog. I never lose weight until my kids turn one. So, as I see it you still have another 4 months to veg!

Amy said...

Hey, you don't know me, but I have some advice for you. I spent 10 years knowing that something was wrong with my thyroid. It got to a point last year that I cried when ANOTHER new doctor told me my thyroid was ok. After seeing how miserable I was, she suggested doing some further testing (total family history of broken thyroids). Turns out that my body creates antibodies to my own thyroid. So, the tests showed that my body was producing enough thyroid, but my body was secretly fighting it. I feel so much better now that I've gotten it all worked out. I HIGHLY recommend looking in to that.

Good Luck! I feel your pain. Well, at least some of it.

Anonymous said...

Skinny little bitches eating snickers bars need to be shot.

My baby weight wouldn't come off until my kids were 9 months old. Didn't matter what I did, just wouldn't come off. Finally, around the time they started crawling, I would get dressed one day and baby would pull my pants off of me, trying to stand up. Don't know how it happens. Just does

The way I look at it, it takes 9 months to gain weight having babies. It takes that long for your body to come to accept that it won't have to feed another person. In the meantime, get a good time-release "B" vitamin and take it religiously. Oh, and call me for a trip to Mecca - even on short notice.