Kids are exhausting, right?
Well, hang on to your seats...
Today we had a major milestone with Jack-- he's rocking! Finally, the Boy With the Dome is starting to crawl. We were up in Alex's room together, and I showed Jack the kite that is hung from Alex's ceiling. "Look, Jack, Kite!" I said nonchalantly.
"Ayetch. Gatch." The words came from his chubby lips.
KITE. JACK. Whhaaaattttt? Jack can talk. I mean, he can say his name, and today he said kite (okay, it was ayetch, but... yowza!)
Brooke, not to be outdone, was right on his heels.
"Mom mom mom mom mom MOM MOOOOOMMMM!" She yelled while looking at me. I looked down at my little woman, who pulled one hand off of the chair she was using for cruising, stood firmly on her feet, and exhaled forcefully through her nose. Don't mess with this little lady, my Brookie Bean.
The twins are nine months old, mind you.
So, on to the mental exhaustion.
The questions; Oh, the questions! Alex was a barrage of questions going to and from Garner Village today. First about the Earth, the Galaxy, then the existence of God and then Death. I'm not joking. It went like this:
"So, tell me about the earth."
"What do you want to know?"
"Did God make it?"
"Yup."
"So, why does it get cold in the winter?
"Why is it colder in the North Pole all the time?"
I explained the equator, the earth's axis points, and why the poles were colder. He took it all in, and then asked,
"So, why does the Earth rotate? What turns it? How did it start rotating?"
Uhhh....
Crickets, people. I had no clue what to say. My mind starting flipping through answers from gravity, lunar pulls, magnetic forces, momentum... I cursed every lecture in college that I slept through, which were a lot.
Then the Q's went to the exsistence of God, where He lives and where He was right then. About 23 questions later, we made it all the way to death. DEATH. He's 4, mind you.
"So, do you know people who died?"
"Yup, quite a few."
"Do you miss them?"
"Every day, sweetheart!"
"Did your grandparents die?"
"Yup, when I was young. Also a few of my cousins, a couple of friends."
This troubled him.
"Oh, Mom! Are you sad?"
"I was, but I know that death isn't an end, it's just another door we go through. WE live forever!"
"That's when we go back to God, right?"
"Yup."
"Hey Mom, when I get old, are you going to die?"
My heart stopped. I could hear the sadness in his voice.
"Yup, but that's not going to be for a long time, sweetie. We have a lot of life to live, and all sorts of adventures to go on still. A LOT."
"Oh, good!" I could hear his voice cheer up.
"Hey, Mom?"
"What, babe-oh?"
"Did you see that one witch that tooted? I heard her toot." (Referring to the Gardner Village Witch Festival)
That's when I knew the conversation was over.
When we got home, Alex persisted on finding out why the Earth rotates, rather, HOW it rotates. I gotta start googling right now...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment