I've heard through friends, or from friends directly, that there are a handful of people expecting TWINS and seeking advice...
First off, congratulations! Shocker, isn't it? I nearly fell off the table when I saw those two "eyes" looking at me from the ultrasound. Take some time to gather your wits mentally before preparing physically for the baby onslaught.
First, I want to remind you (and all Moms out there) that God wouldn't give this "challenge-privilege-whatnot" to you unless you could handle it. We are never given more than we can bear. "Right, say that at 1,2,3,4 and 5 in the morning," you say. I know. Keep the perspective that God knows you, He knows you can do this, that your are capable and ready to be a twin momma.
Second, temporarily kiss your nightlife goodbye, if you haven't already done it. These babies need a schedule, they need routine. As long as they are on a routine, they will be happy and calm, and (gasp!) maybe sleep through the night for you. I am home everyday by 5 to get ready for the night routine (granted I don't have my man here to help, so it may be different for you).
Here's the over share: Don't beat yourself up if you can't nurse twins. I want those two weeks back that I beat myself up with guilt and anguish over the fact that I couldn't nurse twins. "What's wrong with me?" I kept chiding myself. I allowed the La Leche nazis to convince me that it was all my fault and laziness that was inhibiting my milk supply to be that of a milk cow. I never supplied enough.
My twins are healthy, smart, happy, and my daughter is ahead on several "markers." They have formula. They are not stunted. They are fine.
Think SYNCHRONY! They are now your US Olympic Synchronized Baby Team. One needs a diaper, change the other! Bottles, food, playtime, nap times, SAME TIME. It will be hard at first, but IT PAYS OFF in the end.
Baby bag, shmaby bag.... You need a backpack. Get a good pack that won't hurt your back-- you can't get everything you need for two babies in a baby bag. Don't try. I did, and now I'm much happier with my pack. DO use the baby bags for quick trips, church, etc.
I couldn't deliver my twins-- they came via c-section, and thank heaven for that. One was breech, the other transverse. I was sad I couldn't try, but I had a feeling from the start that I wouldn't deliver "traditionally."
Prepare yourself now for the final month: You will pee your pants at very inopportune times, and your bed will feel rock hard for about 4 weeks. Sleep propped upright on your couch. It's much better. Tell your husband (or yourself) to get over it that you're not in bed together. Unless you have a top of the line Swedish memory foam bed with a memory foam topper, your bed will suck.
You may end up in the hospital near the end for false alarms (earlier than usual), preterm labor, dehydration,or falling down the stairs (hello, me!). You MAY have a textbook perfect pregnancy, go 38 weeks and deliver perfectly. It's all individual. But be prepared.
AND MY MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE OF ALL: Don't freak out. Everything is going to fine. I promise! You have two sets of chubby hands to hold, giggly babies to kiss, two pairs of adoring eyes trailing you. I have to remind myself that while it's a ton a of work, it's totally doable, and fun.
Twins are fun in the long run.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I have to highly recommend the Skip Hop Duo Double Deluxe diaper bag meant for TWO babies. It also is designed to fit on the back of a double stroller. It's pricey but WORTH EVERY PENNY! Here is a link: http://www.skiphop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SH&Category_Code=DB&Product_Code=23000
I'm so glad I know you! I love reading about your sweet babies, and your positive outlook on babyhood.
i think you are the perfect poster child for twin mommies. i had fun today. i also forgot that i was supposed to squeeze lime juice on the stir fry. i tried some later and it was yum.
Amen! I couldn't agree with you more. I just love to read your blog. Thanks for the positive attitude. I hate when I've tried so hard to be positive and happy and then get some random comment from someone on how tired I should be and how hard my life is. I don't think they get it.
Brenna---SERIOUSLY. It's those comments like, "Gee, you have your hands full! Aren't you just dying?" You want to smack them on the forehead and say, "gee, it's sunny today, aren't you just stupid?" Or something like that.
You are awesome. I recently read that nursing twins takes anywhere from 7 to ten hours a day. Ten if they don't nurse at the same time. Five if they ideally sync up. I remember laughing very hard at the cruelty of that and then getting freaked out before my ultrasound. Just one. I hope I have half of your sunny optimism with my one little visitor. When can Shauna and I come play?
You don't know me, but my SIL forwarded this to me after we found out we were having twins. Thanks for your down to earth look at life.
Kristina
Post a Comment