Author: David ZinczenkoMy world has been rocked by the "For Kids!" edition of this book. Yes, we all know that fast- and processed foods aren't good for us, but I never knew how bad they are for us. I am officially scared by foods that don't grow out of the ground now...
I had no idea that the FDA has approved several chemicals, only because the multi-billion dollar food industry paid for the research and the stamps of approval. There are 73 CHEMICALS in a Baskin Robbins milkshake. Holy Crap.
So, here comes my "caveat emptor" story (Yes, I know I'm not using the "Buyer Beware" term properly, humor me).
Sunday morning I woke up exhausted (normal), nauseated from the lack of sleep (also normal), but congested and slightly coughing (uh oh). I wanted to take some Tylenol, but not with straight water, as I wasn't in a straight water mood. I shuffled through my teas when I happened upon a lone cup of CRYSTAL LIGHT. Or, as I will now call it, liquid death. So, I mixed up a pitcher of liquid death, but in my sleep-deprived haze, with half the water. HALF. So, that's a load of chemicals I ingested, not to mention a toxic amount of red coloring. About ten minutes later, my arms are itching. Looking down, I'm covered in bright red spots, like teeny tiny hives, cascading down my arms, now down my legs, and I was feeling dizzy.
Alex noticed the red spots on my skin, and backed up about three feet. I put the babies in their swings, and when they fell asleep, I sat under a tepid shower, praying that I could wash off the rash. I forgot to mention, it's Sunday-- Alex was giving a talk in primary, and I was asked to sub for the primary chorister. I HAD TO GO TO CHURCH, dang it! Long story short, my Mom came over, BB sat so I could sleep (first nap in 4 months), and I got to church.
Here's the moral of my story-- what kind of crap are you putting in your mouth? Just because it's on the shelf doesn't make it safe to eat. Macaroni and Cheese today (a staple in our house) is chemically completely different from the Mac and Cheese we ate 20 years ago. Not to mention calorie-dense in comparison as well...
From my MD diagnosis a few weeks ago ("You're fat, not sick."), to this book, and now my rashy experience (I'd stay away from someone if I saw my arms on them), I'm highly motivated to get the crap out of my pantry. Yikes. Buyer beware! Do you truly know what you are eating?
Go buy this book. Now. I'm waiting....
6 comments:
these are the books that inspired my keeping it real cupboard blog. have you been reading it at all?? i have a few good things on it already and more to come. love you.
keepingitrealcupboard.blogspot.com
Wow... I wonder what our chow hall is feeding us? We know that the Army experiments with their soldiers with medicines and inoculations. I wonder what foods they're testing on us?
Say it ain't so, I have started drinking Cyrstal Light and have always just ignored the fact that something so good could have no calories. Can't wait to see you Sat!
That is a really good book!
Why did you have to go and ruin my ignorant bliss??? :P
Have you read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan? It goes in depth about how the laws changed in America to make all this food adulteration possible. Scary stuff. "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" describes the systematic decimation of thousands of plant species by our big food industries. There is literally less to eat than there was 30 years ago.
Ever wonder how those little apple slices at McDonald's stay so fresh looking when your apples turn brown the minute they're cut? Is it lemon juice? No. They put them in bags and fill them up with preservative gases, for which NO LABELS ARE REQUIRED. ummmm...does it remind you of Snow White at all?
Post a Comment