Saturday, November 15, 2008

On Boys and Boobs

So, today my little man sat in his "big boy booster" in the car for the first time. He's all grown up, and ready to tell me about it. First things first, this is what made me want to stop the car and hold him so tightly he'd never grow up:
"Mom, I know I'm all grown up now, in my big boy chair, but I will always be your guy. Just until I marry my princess and have fifty dollars to myself."

Oh, you sweet boy. But, that princess is going to want you to make much more than fifty clams....

Since he's all grown up now, there are a few terms that are out of the picture. For good. For instance, you better watch it if you call him "baby." That one merits a tantrum. Also, It's not a "sippy cup." It's a glass (even if it's a sippy cup). The most significant change happened today in the car.

"Dang it, Mom! I have another BOOB!"

I nearly swerved off the road.

"Huh... what?" I replied.

"I gotta BOOB, mom, right here!" He pointed to his knuckle.

"Oh! You've got an owwie?" I asked.

"Well, Mom, since I'm grown up, I don't say 'boo-boo,' or 'owwie.' Big Guys say boobs."

Don't they ever. Without stopping... I So wanted to reply.

"Well, Alex, instead of boob, let's call it a scratch."

"Boob sounds cooler, Mom!" He replied with a tough guy voice.

Yes, my son, Boob away. That word will remain with you forever, and become a sophomoric obsession that I PRAY you someday grow out of.

4 comments:

Marie said...

I am so laughing!!

Michael said...

Uh, that's so my boy... Sorry about that. :)

The Allred Family said...

Camille, I want to keep reading your blog, if you don't mind! akallred at yahoo dot com. I am glad that you are doing well. And I love the stories!

SumGreater said...

If I could record me laughing, I'd just send that...so true about boys and boobs.
I was watching Aladdin with my then 5 year old son a couple years ago when the hoochie dancing girls started coming onto Aladdin. (The genie summoned them to show his mighty powers.) Right then and there, I told my impressionable child that those girls were too stupid to get all their clothes on and he wouldn't ever want to go on a date with someone that dumb, would he? All planned ideas about respecting womanhood and honoring the precious bodies God gave us went right out the window. It'll probably turn out the same anyway...